Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Why WALBICUS?!

I think we are off to a pretty decent start with our WALBICUS summer.  Today is Tuesday and we walked/strolled and biked with friends to a local park to play and meet a friend for a playdate.  But this past Sunday was something to celebrate:  we biked to and from church and then I biked back to church for a meeting!  Take that, carbon emissions!  In all seriousness, it does feel darn good to bike to places we may have formerly drove.

Which segues nicely into a list of reasons why we have decided to focus some energy on walking, biking, carpooling and taking the bus this summer.

-It feels good!  Walking and biking are great exercise and my kids and I need exercise!
-I recently agreed to co-coordinate WALBICUS efforts at my church, the Unitarian Universalist Church of Bloomington, IN, and I need to practice what I am preaching (coordinating)!
-We are believers - in global climate change (GCC).  As believers, we need to do what we can to contribute less to the scariness that is GCC.

I hope that through this effort and this blog, me and the kids will learn as we go.  We are having fun so far and tomorrow I will post some photos to prove it!  We are not experts, and we are not perfect.  (And I am not that great of a writer, but I hope to improve in that area, as well!)  But we are going to put our best feet, tires and wheels forward!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you are doing this --- Walbicus-ing, AND blogging about it! Your stories are sure to be inspiring to others who also want to cut their carbon emissions but aren't sure where/how to begin. I hope you'll post photos, and tell us about the challenges you face (especially with 2 little ones!) and how you overcome them. Thanks, MB!!

    ReplyDelete